Our environmental commitment
Responsibility, environmental commitment and sustainability are topics that are becoming increasingly important at sporting events such as the SwissCityMarathon - Lucerne. For this reason, environmental commitment is also becoming a firm priority in an increasingly economic and rationalised society. The SwissCityMarathon association feels obliged to give at this major event the largest environmental significance. Effects on the environment are hardly avoidable in such a big event. With appropriate measures, the effects can be minimized.
The principles and focal points of our environmental management are outlined below.
Principles & focus
The precautionary principle has top priority in planning and implementation. The environment is seen as a cross-cutting issue and concerns all departments. For the SwissCityMarathon - Lucerne, companies from the region are taken into account wherever possible. It goes without saying that we work together with the public authorities. The measures for the environment-friendly execution of the marathon are part of PR. They are communicated accordingly and serve to promote environmental awareness in a positive way.
Based on these principles, the following focal points of sustainable and environmentally friendly action are defined in the sustainability concept for the SwissCityMarathon - Lucerne:
- An environment superviser ensures that environmental measures are incorporated into the planning process and are implemented at an early stage.
- Public transport will be promoted. Thanks to the SwissRunners Ticket, public transport in Switzerland is free of charge for all participants.
- In the case of motorised private transport, a high degree of utilisation is sought and it is kept away from the centre.
- Waste is first and foremost avoided, secondly reduced and thirdly separated. Numerous waste and recycling stations are in use. Various cleanteams ensure clean event locations.
- For the event, existing infrastructure will be used wherever possible.
- Energy consumption is kept low and covered by renewable energies.
- Seasonal and regional products and companies (with labels) are given preferential treatment.
- Cooperation with the authorities is strengthened and compensation measures are secured.
- Thanks to the cooperation with the Max Havelaar Foundation, products with the Fairtrade label are purchased, which are manufactured according to strict social and ecological criteria and are traded fairly.
- The environmental measures are actively communicated and sensitized to environmentally compatible actions.
- A controlling system is used to record the ecobalance of the SwissCityMarathon - Lucerne and to enable improvements in favour of the environment for future events.
On the basis of these principles and priorities, specific measures will be identified on an ongoing basis and implemented before, during and after the event. The measures can be classified into the following subject areas:
- Disposal & Cleaning
- Logistics & Transport
- Communication & information
- Planning & implementation
- Organizing committee